Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting my feet wet.....

I really want to start making things to share with teachers in the blog world. My ultimate goal is to create a TPT store. Here I am! Just starting out! I only have 10 followers, but my dreams are big!

Here is my first, and might I say, very small and simple project.......

What do Kindergarten teachers do on the first day of school?

There are always sooooo many things to deal with.....
#1 Getting the kids into the room
#2 Getting the parents out in a timely manner
#3 Trying to stop the criers from crying
#4 Getting the kids organized
#5 Finding out how they will go home at the end of the day
#6 Finding out how they will eat lunch

Wow....this list could go on for days........

I have found that the easiest thing to do is give each child a can of (wait for it) Play-Doh!!!!!

Why is this stuff so great? The kids walk in and see that little yellow can and get instantly excited! They just want to tear it open and don't even notice their parents are there. The kids are happy, which in turn, makes me happy because it makes our 1st week transition a smooth one. They are busy creating, building fine motor skills and making new friends. On the other hand, I am free to get important information from parents and they see that their little ones are excited and ready for school. It is a win-win for everyone!

Here is my freebie! I created a simple play-doh mat that I will print out on colored paper. Thinking about gluing a cute mat around the edges with scrapbook paper and then laminating them. This will give the kids a cute place to play with their dough and not make a big mess on our tables.


Welcome to Kindergarten

6 comments:

billi said...

Adorable and what a great idea. So much more exciting than colors and puzzles.

Jenny said...

This is really a great idea! Do you give them the big cans or the little ones. I am with you on just starting out! I only have 1 follower:(! I just need to find the right things to blog about! Again thanks for the idea and I will check back often! I love teaching Kindergarten!

Jennifer said...

Hi Jenny...I'm going on over to follow your blog. It is a bit hard to get some followers, but all in due time.

I've had the large cans and some medium sized ones too. During the back to school sales last year, Target put a school bus box that was filled with play-doh cans on sale. I bought two of them. I think they were $8.00. I only used one and the other is still good for this new year. Keep your eye out because it will go on sale!

Miss Megan said...

Very good idea! Im going to use it :) Im a first year kindergarten teacher... I just followed your blog, check mine out!

internteachertales.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Come and join our giveaway!
www.mrssimpsonskindergarten.blogspot.com

Ashley :)

Jennifer @ Simply Kinder said...

I do the same thing! Playdough cures everything on the first day! Really the first week or so for me. It seems like by the time you get everyone your door, take a breath, and do you attendance really late... playdough is the only thing that will keep their attention long enough! I never thought of using mats! Great Idea!

I do hand prints during Meet the Teacher night. How cool would it be to do to this on that that mat? You could even do the parents mat. Probably a lot of work, but really cool! They they would have a little love from mom or dad and also a keepsake for the first day of school! Probably too much, sometimes I need to calm down about kindergarten! =)

Empowering Kinders and Other Kids Too

Post a Comment